Established on 15 June 2006, the Centre for Strategic and Policy Studies (CSPS) is a government-funded corporate body set up to undertake independent and objective policy research and analysis on strategic issues concerning Brunei Darussalam, especially those outlined in Brunei's long term development plan (Vision 2035/Wawasan 2035)
As stipulated in the Centre for Strategic and Policy Studies Order 2006, the functions of the Centre shall include:
- The advancement and dissemination of knowledge and the promotion of research on Brunei Darussalam and on all matters appertaining to Brunei Darussalam's interest; and
- The conferring and awarding of diplomas, certificates and fellowships
In providing policy advice which is grounded in empirical research and pertinent data to decision makers, CSPS plays an integral role in nation building. Research projects are conducted, where relevant, in partnership with government agencies, business industries, the private sector, tertiary institutions, research partners and the wider community. CSPS serves as a platform for policy-related discussions by engaging its diverse stakeholders through its conferences and seminars, roundtable forums, closed door discussion seminars and workshops to disseminate its key research findings. It also publishes periodic journals and reports as well as conducts training for both public and private stakeholders.
- Conduct research and provide policy advice on issues of strategic importance to Brunei Darussalam and national development.
- Support decision makers with pertinent data and policy advice for our stakeholders to make informed policy decisions.
- Provide rational and empirical, and, where needed, alternative policy advice to the Government and stakeholders.
- Build bridges among diverse stakeholders, including Government, business, academia and society.